Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Lovely. Gentle. Water Birth.



Paxton Titus Phelps
February 11, 2012
4:46 p.m.
8#10oz   21in.
Precious



Saturday morning I had no idea I was in labor and that seven hours and a few minutes later I would be a mother to the most precious baby boy! The decision to have a homebirth was made before conception after much research and prayer.  Adam and I were very blessed to receive care from the best midwife in the whole world.  (I am not not exaggerating.  I like to call her “The Baby Whisper-er.”)
I went to bed Friday night feeling very pregnant and uncomfortable, but slept well.  9:30 Saturday morning I woke up feeling like I had to poop.  For two hours I was on the toilet.  I thought I had some “bug” or food poisoning.  When the symptoms continued, and I started feeling more crampy, then I knew something was up.  I was still in denial that it was real labor.  I had in my mind that it was false labor and the  symptoms would go away and return at another time to tease.  This was NOT a tease!  Adam knew what was about to go down!  In between rubbing my back during contractions he franticly vacuumed and set up the birth pool.  Sometime during all the excitement the midwife was contacted, but she didn’t seem to be in a hurry.  First time mothers can labor very long.  When things became heated Adam told her she might want to come on over. 
2:00 our midwife arrives.  I had been relaxing in the birth pool for only a few minutes.  Being in the water was very soothing.  During each contraction I had several hands massaging my body all over  Poor Adam had the job of back support.  For almost 3 hours he held my back up.  At some  point I was instructed to try to pee.  So, with the whole birth team I go to bathroom.  I can’t remember if I actually used the bathroom, but I do remember being instructed to feel the bag of water.  Hesitant at first, I reach down and knew I would  meet my baby soon!  About five minutes after returning to the pool my water broke.  What a relief!  Then came the pushing…
Thirty minutes later I was holding the most beautiful baby boy!  I remember repeating, “Isn’t he pretty?”  And then asking, “Can boys be pretty?”  And they most certainly can!   I will never forget when we gazed into each others eyes.  It was love at first sight. 
Having my bundle of joy at home was the most amazing experience.  I can’t climb a mountain but I deliver a baby naturally!






4 comments:

Nessa and Jeebs said...

How AWESOME! I'm so glad you posted this- and I'm so glad you got to have a wonderful homebirth!! It was the most awesome experience I've ever had and you can't describe it to anyone until they go through it :) Love and miss you guys

THE KELLY CLAN said...

This is a beautiful story, thank you for sharing.

Aunt Debbie said...

Jessie, What a wonderful story. It must be a very amazing experience. Can't wait to meet this beautiful bundle of joy.

ericnashlea said...

Amazing! So happy for your Jess. Thanks for sharing your story. Can't wait to meet Paxton.